[caption id="attachment_75" align="alignright" width="400"] Sperry Tents Winter Benefit Event[/caption]Winter weddings are growing in popularity — December is now the #3 wedding month for BG brides, behind May and... Read More
Winter weddings are growing in popularity — December is now the #3 wedding month for BG brides, behind May and June — and with good reason. Harriette Rose Katz, a top wedding planner in New York City, breaks down the top 10 reasons why winter weddings rock.
- Seasonal Décor Gives Your Wedding a Unique Touch A winter wedding allows you to experiment with a themed décor. An easy way to incorporate this is with natural components, such as frosted pinecones, pine leaves, snowflakes, or holiday lights to enhance your winter wedding wonderland.
- You’ll Get Your First Choice VendorsAlthough June and September weddings are a dream, they are two of the busiest months for weddings — so the chance that all of your top vendor picks will be available on the same date is pretty slim. But since December, January, and February are less popular among brides, they’re your best bet to get who you want — and for less! You’ll find that many vendors are willing to cut you a deal during these cold-weather months.
- You Can Focus More on the DetailsSince you’re saving money on your vendors, you can invest in the details that’ll make your wedding feel more personal. Try accessorizing your wedding party with commemorative scarves. For favors, give out gloves that your guests can use throughout the season. Check out more winter favor ideas ►
- Any Color Palette Can Work in the Winter When planning a color scheme for your wedding, the neutrality of the winter months complements a variety of shades — from rustic to glamorous, any color is sure to pop! Try incorporating your colors with winter foliage to emphasize the seasonal elements.
- Your Fashion Options are Endless While there is a typical weather-driven dress style for every other season — sleeveless for spring, strapless for summer — a winter wedding allows for the bride to experiment with various glamorous looks. Wear long sleeves, or wear that strapless gown and accessorize with an embroidered coat, faux fur, or upper arm gloves for a warm yet stylish look. See 40 gorgeous winter gowns ►
- The Sunlight Works in Your FavorWinter mornings have great natural lighting; take advantage of this by snapping your group photos earlier in the day. Plus, since the sun sets earlier, you can usually capture a gorgeous sunset during your ceremony!
- Two Words: Comfort Food A winter wedding provides the perfect opportunity to put a luxury spin on wintry comfort foods. Try hearty dishes, like pasta, lasagna, casseroles and warm soups, but add a fancy twist with mini soup bowls and individual dishes. Also, get fun and creative with the dessert course and set up a hot chocolate bar or s’mores bar. Serve creamy eggnog cocktails and spicy mulled wines.
- Your Timing is Perfect for an Island Honeymoon Another big reason to love a winter wedding is the idea of an island honeymoon! Justify an escape from the cold, and fly to a warm and sunny island for a sweet honeymoon adventure. Check out Caribbean honeymoon options for every budget ►
- Your Wedding Will Naturally Stand Out The entire wedding, from ceremony to reception, is guaranteed to make an impression in the memories of all your guests simply because it’s different from all of the spring and summer weddings they typically attend. Plus, your wedding will provide something to look forward to in the colder months.
- Winter Weddings Make You Believe in MagicThe ambience around a winter wedding is equivalent to that of the first winter snowfall — it’s magical and very romantic. Make sure you highlight and maximize the winter elements with faux snow or Christmas lights for a perfect winter scene.
Tell us: Would you consider having a winter wedding? Check out 100 ideas for the season!
Harriette is the Founder and President of Events/Gourmet Advisory Services, one of New York’s premiere event planning businesses. For over 35 years, Gourmet Advisory Services has orchestrated a wide array of beautiful wedding receptions that range from the intimate to the lavish. She was declared the “Number One Wedding Planner in Manhattan” by New York Metro and was inducted to the Hall of Fame for Biz Bash and the International Special Event Society. In addition, Harriette served 16 years as President and Chief Operating Officer of the Confrerie del a Chaine Des Rotisseurs, one of the world’s most prestigious food and wine organizations. She also made history last year for planning the Guinness Book of World Records Most Expensive Pet Wedding in New York for charity.